Claims circulating on social media that an LTTE terrorist training camp is operating inside the Pallai forest reserve are completely false, Cabinet Spokesman Minister Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa said on Tuesday (18).
Responding to a question at the weekly Cabinet media briefing, Jayatissa said there is no LTTE camp or terrorist training facility at the location named in the reports, and that there is no evidence of terrorist-related activity at the site.
What is actually at the site
What has taken place, the minister said, is the unauthorised clearing of part of a forest reserve by an individual, followed by the construction of a multi-storey building.
Information gathered so far indicates a garment manufacturing facility is being operated there, with people from the surrounding area taking part in the work.
The land was declared a forest reserve under Gazette No. 70/64 dated November 17, 1919. Reports of unauthorised clearing in the area have been received since 2025.
Information about the construction of a three-storey building was reported in January 2026, and subsequent reports indicate the building now has four floors. The individual initially cleared about 10 acres of the reserve and later expanded that to around 20 acres, where aloe vera and vegetables were reportedly being cultivated.
Seven cases and a standing court order
Legal action has already been taken over the clearing, Jayatissa said. The Forest Range Office has conducted several raids in connection with the activities, resulting in seven cases being filed against the owner.
The Kilinochchi Magistrate’s Court issued an order on February 6, 2026 prohibiting entry to the land. An application was made on February 17 to have that order lifted, but the restriction remains in place. The next hearing is scheduled for August 25.
Police have filed a separate case relating to the unauthorised excavation and transport of sand using tractors and other machinery.
On July 24, 2026, the owner and eight other people were arrested for allegedly obstructing Forest Department officials in the execution of their duties, in an operation carried out with the assistance of the Special Task Force. Those arrested were later granted bail, with proceedings scheduled for a later date.
The owner has also submitted documents to court claiming ownership rights to the land, and those claims are being examined.
Jayatissa said the allegations of an LTTE training camp had been fabricated on the basis of these incidents.
The denial came at the same briefing at which the Cabinet’s approval of a new Bill to replace the 1979 Prevention of Terrorism Act was announced.