At least 22 unauthorised structures, including several beachside restaurants and cafés, were demolished along the Ahangama beach strip on Tuesday, in the latest stage of a nationwide push against illegal construction in the coastal zone.

Police said the demolitions were carried out by the Department of Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management in line with legal procedures. The department’s Director General, Dr. Terney Pradeep Kumara, said the removal process had already begun.

The department has previously identified more than 2,500 illegal constructions across Sri Lanka’s coastal zone. Under existing regulations, building is prohibited within a strip extending 10 to 25 metres from the shoreline.

Operators say the town’s draw is at stake

Daily FT reported that the establishments pulled down included Gelato, Crust, Marshmallows, Ceylon Sliders, Uncle’s and Cactus — venues it said had helped turn the southern coastal town into a sought-after destination for both foreign and domestic travellers.

Tourism industry stakeholders quoted by the paper said that while enforcement of the law is welcome, the manner and scale of the removals risk eroding the distinctive appeal that put Ahangama on the tourism map. They argued that enforcement should be paired with a broader plan to protect the destination’s tourism value, investment and livelihoods.

Opposition criticism

SJB National Youth Organizer Chamith Wijesundera criticised the demolitions in a post on X, saying they made little sense while the economy remains fragile.

“Demolishing Ahangama beachfront businesses is the last thing Sri Lanka needs right now. Tourism is one of our main sources of Dollars and jobs. Destroying these spots when the economy is still fragile makes no sense,” he said, calling on the government to concentrate on recovery, investment and jobs.

The demolitions come as tourism authorities push for record arrivals, with the sector already past 1.4 million visitors this year.

Sources