The principal suspect accused of orchestrating the large-scale drug trafficking operation that used Buddhist robes as cover has fled Sri Lanka for India, police said on Monday, with steps now under way to issue an international red notice through Interpol for his arrest.
The disclosure marks the first confirmation that the alleged organiser of the operation evaded Sri Lankan authorities, despite the earlier arrest of his network’s recruits and a separate “facilitator” suspect.
Investigators traced the suspect’s flight while building out the broader trafficking case that began with the arrest of 22 robe-clad individuals at Bandaranaike International Airport on April 26. They were taken into custody by the Police Narcotics Bureau while attempting to smuggle more than 110 kilograms of Kush and Hash concealed in luggage arriving from Thailand.
Further investigations led to the apprehension of another robe-clad individual the same day at a temple in Migahawatta, Gampaha, who was earlier described by police as a senior suspect facilitating the group’s travel. Two other individuals linked to the smuggling operation have also been arrested, bringing the total to 25 suspects currently in remand custody as investigations continue.
Police said efforts to locate and apprehend the fleeing mastermind were ongoing as the probe into the international drug trafficking network intensified. Investigators have previously sought Interpol assistance to trace earlier Bangkok runs by the same group, with mobile-phone evidence suggesting prior smuggling trips before the April 26 seizure.
The case is the largest narcotics operation reported through the airport involving Buddhist monks. The street value of the consignment has been estimated at between Rs. 660 million and Rs. 1.1 billion. The Mahanayaka Theros of all three main Nikayas earlier issued a joint statement condemning the misuse of the saffron robe.
Source: NewsFirst.