A businessman is the alleged mastermind behind the trafficking operation that sent 22 men dressed as Buddhist monks through Bandaranaike International Airport with narcotics valued at over Rs. 1.1 billion, Ada Derana reported, citing investigators.
The suspects were detained on April 25 as they returned from Thailand carrying about 112 kilograms of “Kush” cannabis and “Hash” concealed inside suitcases packed with school supplies. They told interrogators that travel and accommodation had been arranged by sponsors, and that they were instructed to bring back the luggage. Authorities have since seized their mobile phones, with the Criminal Investigation Department analysing the devices to map the network.
The bust is believed to be the first time a group of monks has been apprehended at the airport with narcotics on this scale. The 22 are being held for seven days under a Negombo Magistrate’s Court order issued on April 26 and were referred to the Judicial Medical Officer this week.
Investigators also confirmed that the chief monk alleged to have coordinated the recruitment was arrested in Gampaha but is not cooperating with the inquiry.
Buddhist authorities used the case to renew calls for a regulation requiring monks to obtain written approval from the Chief Prelates before travelling abroad. Commissioner General of the Department of Buddhist Affairs Gamini Senarathne said the rule had been “temporarily suspended” and that a request from the Chief Prelates to restore it has been forwarded to the Foreign Ministry. The Mahanayaka Theros of all three main Nikayas issued a joint statement on Sunday condemning the misuse of the saffron robe.
In Induruwa, residents staged protests against a monk from the area who is among those arrested.
The arrests follow earlier reports identifying three masterminds linked to the Bangkok trip and a seven-day detention order on the principal suspect ahead of a May 2 court appearance.