The Ministry of Women and Child Affairs has formally written to the Inspector General of Police requesting an investigation into remarks made by former Minister Dilum Amunugama at a recent media briefing, alleging the comments caused harm to a minor linked to an ongoing child abuse case.

The letter, dated Thursday, stated that statements made by Amunugama “appeared to relate to a child abuse case currently under investigation and before court.”

The ministry specifically objected to a comment in which Amunugama reportedly said, “An Atamasthanadhipathi Thero was arrested based on the statement of a prostitute.” The ministry said the remark caused “serious prejudice” to the minor girl involved in the case, who is identified as a victim and witness in ongoing court proceedings.

It said the statement could amount to an offence under provisions of the Assistance to and Protection of Victims of Crime and Witnesses Act No. 10 of 2023, which carries criminal penalties for conduct prejudicial to protected witnesses.

In a separate statement, the ministry said complaints had been received about what it described as verbal abuse directed at a child currently under state protection.

The Atamasthanadhipathi reference points to Pallegama Hemarathana Thera, the Anuradhapura chief incumbent arrested on May 8 on sexual abuse charges following a complaint made through the National Child Protection Authority. The case has remained one of the highest-profile child protection matters in the country, with the Colombo Fort Magistrate extending his remand on May 13 until May 22.

A civil society collective on Thursday separately called for the Maha Sangha and political actors to refrain from statements that could compromise the child’s safety. The NCPA earlier this month told the public that allegations of external interference in the investigation are unfounded.

Amunugama, a former National Policies and Economic Affairs Minister, later in the day said his remarks had been misrepresented online and were directed at information he had received regarding a separate incident in the Nittambuwa area, not at the child connected to the case. “If that statement caused hurt to the child, the child’s family or anyone in society due to a misunderstanding, I express my regret and apologise,” he said, adding that nearly two decades in politics he had not engaged in mudslinging or personal attacks. The apology does not undo the ministry’s request for the IGP to investigate his earlier comments.