A 19-year-old former student opened fire at a high school in southeastern Turkey on Tuesday, wounding at least 16 people before killing himself as police closed in, Governor Hasan Sildak confirmed.

The attacker used a shotgun in the assault at a school in the Siverek district of Sanliurfa province. He began firing indiscriminately in the school yard before entering the building, Sildak told broadcaster NTV.

Casualties

Among the 16 wounded were 10 students, four teachers, one police officer, and a school canteen employee, according to the Interior Ministry. Five of the injured were transferred to hospitals in Sanliurfa city centre for further treatment.

The shooter killed himself as police attempted to apprehend him.

No prior red flags

Governor Sildak said the attacker had no prior criminal record and that the school had previously been classified as safe by police. No motive has been publicly disclosed.

Video footage showed students fleeing the building as ambulances and police vehicles converged on the scene.