Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Harsha de Silva has rejected the government’s claims about the Rebuilding Sri Lanka Fund, arguing on Sunday night that the fund has no legal existence because no Act of Parliament has ever been passed to establish it.

In a post on X, de Silva directly challenged Deputy Finance Minister Anil Jayantha Fernando’s public assurance the previous day that the fund remains “safe” with Rs. 9,583 million deposited as of April 24, 2026. The opposition MP said the deposits cannot be reconciled with the absence of a statutory instrument creating the fund.

De Silva pointed out that under Sri Lanka’s programme with the International Monetary Fund, several funds were abolished and only statutory funds — those created through an Act of Parliament — can legally be maintained. He said he had repeatedly questioned the government on this issue, and that officials had consistently replied that they were “working on it,” indicating no Act has been brought forward.

“Thus, no such fund exists,” de Silva said, contrasting the government’s reported deposits with the lack of an enabling statute.

Deputy Minister Fernando had earlier told reporters that money in the fund is subject to parliamentary approval and existing legal limitations, and that all expenditure remains under control. He said contributions had been received from 49 countries, including Sri Lankan and foreign donors.

The dispute is the latest opposition challenge to the government’s handling of post-Cyclone Ditwah reconstruction finance. The fund has received high-profile institutional contributions, including Rs. 300 million from People’s Bank and Rs. 9.6 million from Sri Lanka Police. De Silva’s intervention raises the prospect of court action by donors or auditors if the fund is not regularised through parliament.

Source: Newswire.