Lanka Coal Company Chairman Jayantha Rathnayake has issued a personal statement defending himself against a viral audio recording that has fuelled political controversy over the government’s coal procurement practices.

In a statement released on April 13, Rathnayake said the recording captures a routine telephone call he made in his capacity as Chairman to the local representative of a coal supplier that had been “properly selected through the tender board” and awarded the contract with Cabinet approval. He said the call was to request submission of a performance bond dated March 25, the date it was issued by the relevant bank.

“The audio recording has been distorted and spread on social media in a misleading manner with various interpretations,” Rathnayake said.

The statement comes after the opposition SJB filed a complaint with the CID over the recording, alleging irregularities in coal procurement. The CID subsequently sealed the Lanka Coal Company office as part of its investigation, though the office has since been allowed to reopen under conditions.

The coal procurement scandal has been a central political flashpoint, culminating in a no-confidence motion against Energy Minister Kumara Jayakody that was defeated 153-49 on April 10. An independent audit found Rs. 2.24 billion in losses from substandard coal imports, and President Dissanayake has ordered a Presidential Commission to investigate procurement dating back to 2009.

Rathnayake’s rebuttal is unlikely to quell opposition criticism, with consumer groups continuing to demand prosecution over the coal quality failures.