Pakistan said on Monday it had facilitated the return of 22 Iranian crew members held aboard the US-seized container ship Touska, describing the handover as a “confidence-building measure” amid fragile diplomatic contacts between Washington and Tehran.
The sailors were flown into Islamabad late on Sunday and were due to be handed over to Iranian authorities, according to a statement from Pakistan’s foreign ministry. The transfer was coordinated with both sides, a rare instance of practical cooperation as tensions persist over the Strait of Hormuz.
The move closes the crew chapter of the standoff that began on April 20, when US Central Command seized the Touska in the Gulf of Oman after the vessel allegedly defied US blockade directions. President Donald Trump said US forces had “blown a hole in the engine room” before Marines boarded. Six crew were freed earlier at the end of April; the latest transfer covers the remaining sailors.
Iran has condemned the seizure as “piracy” and a violation of the April 8 Pakistan-brokered ceasefire. Trump has alleged the ship was carrying “a gift from China,” a claim Beijing has rejected. The vessel itself is expected to be returned after repairs.
Pakistan has positioned itself as the principal mediator in the US-Iran channel since hosting the Islamabad talks last month. Its handling of the Touska crew gives Islamabad another lever as both capitals weigh whether to extend the truce.
Source: Ada Derana.