The Sagarika express train, which derailed twice within 48 hours last week, has resumed normal operations from Monday (27), the Department of Railways confirmed.

Transport Superintendent Asanka Samarasinghe said the train returned to its normal schedule on the coastal line from today, drawing a line under nearly four days of disruption to one of the country’s busiest commuter routes.

The first incident occurred on April 24 when the Beliatta–Maradana Sagarika went off the tracks at Wadduwa Railway Station, with 11 of its 13 compartments derailing. Hours after being re-railed, the same train derailed again at Kompannavidiya in central Colombo on the evening of April 25, forcing services on the coastal line onto a single track between Colombo Fort and Wellawatte.

In a parallel administrative move, the Department has temporarily removed four crew members from operational duties pending an internal investigation. The driver, guard, assistant driver and sub-guard of the original Sagarika service that derailed at Wadduwa will not be reinstated until the probe is concluded, the Department said.

The Railway Trade Union Alliance (RTUA) has pushed back against the suspensions, alleging they are intended to deflect attention from administrative shortcomings within the railway system. RTUA Convenor Indika Dodangoda said the train drivers’ union has decided to withdraw technically faulty trains from service and to enforce strict adherence to speed limits during operations.

The Department of Railways has not publicly stated the cause of either derailment. No casualties were reported in the two incidents.

Source: Ada Derana.