US President Donald Trump said all American ships, aircraft and military personnel will remain positioned around Iran until Tehran fully complies with the recently brokered ceasefire, raising the prospect of a renewed military confrontation if the truce collapses.
In a post on Truth Social on Wednesday, Trump said US forces would stay in place “with additional Ammunition, Weaponry, and anything else that is appropriate and necessary for the lethal prosecution and destruction of an already substantially degraded Enemy, until such time as the REAL AGREEMENT reached is fully complied with.”
The president said it was “highly unlikely” the ceasefire would collapse, but warned that if it did, “the Shootin’ Starts, bigger, and better, and stronger than anyone has ever seen before.” He restated the two pillars of the agreement as “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS” and an open, safe Strait of Hormuz.
The declaration reinforces that the Pakistan-brokered two-week ceasefire remains on a knife-edge less than 48 hours after it was announced, with oil prices already reflecting doubts over whether the truce will hold. Iran earlier this week signalled it might walk away from the deal after Israeli strikes in Lebanon, before Tehran softened its position on reopening Hormuz from “complete and immediate” to a more conditional “controlled opening.”
For Sri Lanka, the posture keeps pressure on global oil prices and on the security of Gulf shipping lanes. Colombo secured multiple fuel shipments for April in the days before the ceasefire but remains exposed to any re-closure of Hormuz, through which a significant share of the island’s diesel and LPG transits. A collapse of the truce would also threaten the post-ceasefire recovery of Gulf carrier flights to Colombo that has begun this week.