President Donald Trump has warned that any country caught supplying military weapons to Iran will face an immediate 50 percent tariff on every good sold into the United States, layering a fresh sanctions threat onto the Pakistan-brokered ceasefire announced earlier on April 8.
“A country supplying military weapons to Iran will be immediately tariffed, on any and all goods sold to the United States of America, 50 percent, effective immediately,” Trump said in a statement circulated by Newswire. “There will be no exclusions or exemptions.”
The warning is distinct from the 44 percent general tariff that Trump imposed on Sri Lankan exports as part of his reciprocal tariff package. Sri Lanka does not manufacture or export military hardware to Iran, so the 50 percent weapons tariff carries no direct economic impact for the island. Its significance for Colombo is geopolitical: Washington is signalling that Iran sanctions pressure will continue to tighten even during the two-week ceasefire window, making it harder for third countries to lean on Tehran for discounted oil or other bilateral deals.
Trump also described recent events as a “very productive regime change,” stated there would be “no enrichment of uranium” by Iran, and said the United States intended to work with Tehran to remove deeply buried nuclear material from Iranian sites. He claimed US Space Force satellites were maintaining strict surveillance of Iranian nuclear facilities and that “many of the 15 points” in an ongoing framework negotiation had already been agreed.
Formal US-Iran talks are expected to begin in Islamabad as early as Friday under Pakistani mediation. The ceasefire is conditional on Iran’s reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, though a senior Iranian official has since said the strait could open only in a “controlled way” ahead of those discussions — a subtle walkback that highlights the fragile state of the deal.