Britain is deploying its Type-45 air-defence destroyer HMS Dragon to the Middle East to pre-position for a potential multinational mission to protect shipping in the Strait of Hormuz, the UK Ministry of Defence said on Saturday.

“The pre-positioning of HMS Dragon is part of prudent planning that will ensure that the UK is ready, as part of a multinational coalition jointly led by the UK and France, to secure the Strait, when conditions allow,” a Ministry of Defence spokesperson said in a statement reported by Reuters and confirmed to ITV News. The ministry said the destroyer would deploy “ahead of any future multinational mission to protect international shipping when conditions allow them to transit the Strait of Hormuz.”

HMS Dragon was sent to the Eastern Mediterranean in March, shortly after the start of the Iran war, to help defend British bases in Cyprus from drone and missile attacks. Its relocation to the Middle East follows France’s deployment of the Charles de Gaulle carrier strike group to the southern Red Sea — part of the joint Anglo-French defensive plan aimed at restoring confidence in the trade route.

A coalition of countries — reported variously as around 12 to 40 nations — has indicated willingness to take part in the escort effort, championed by Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron. Britain’s ability to participate is constrained by the Royal Navy’s stretched fleet, with some ships already retired before replacements have entered service.

The deployment comes as the United States and Iran continue talks aimed at ending the 10-week war, with the Strait of Hormuz a central pressure point for global oil markets and a critical transit corridor for Sri Lanka’s fuel imports. The proposed Anglo-French mission is framed as a defensive escort operation rather than a US-style enforcement blockade — a distinction Starmer has previously stressed in rejecting any UK role in pressure-style port operations.

Sources: Ada Derana (citing Reuters), ITV News.